42
O mad, superbly drunk;
呵,疯狂的、头号的醉汉;
If you kick open your doors and play the fool in public;
如果你踢开门户在大众面前装疯;
If you empty your bag in a night, and snap your fingers at prudence;
如果你在一夜倒空囊橐,对慎重轻蔑地弹着指头;
If you walk in curious paths and play with useless things;
如果你走着奇怪的道路,和无益的东西游戏;
Reck not rhyme or reason;
不理会韵律和理性;
If unfurling your sails before the storm you snap the rudder in two,
如果你在风暴前扯起船帆,你把船舵折成两半,
Then I will follow you, comrade, and be drunken and go to the dogs.
那么我就要跟随你,伙伴,喝得烂醉走向堕落灭亡。
I have wasted my days and nights in the company of steady wise neighbors.
我在稳重聪明的街坊中间虚度了日日夜夜。
Much knowing has turned my hair grey, and much watching has made my sight dim.
过多的知识使我白了头发,过多的观察使我眼力模糊。
For years I have gathered and heaped up scraps and fragments of them:
多年来我积攒了许多零碎的东西;
Crush them and dance upon them, and scatter them all to the winds.
把这些东西摔碎,在上面跳舞,把它们散掷到风中去吧。
For I know 'tis the height of wisdom to be drunken and go to the dogs.
因为我知道喝得烂醉而堕落灭亡,是最高的智慧。
Let all crooked scruples vanish, let me hopelessly lose my way.
让一切歪曲的顾虑消亡吧,让我无望地迷失了路途。
Let a gust of wild giddiness come and sweep me away from my anchors.
让一阵旋风吹来,把我连船锚一齐卷走。
The world is peopled with worthies, and workers, useful and clever.
世界上住着高尚的人,劳动的人,有用又聪明。
There are men who are easily first, and men who come decently after.
有的人很从容地走在前头,有的人庄重地走在后面。
Let them be happy and prosper, and let me be foolishly futile.
让他们快乐繁荣吧,让我傻呆地无用吧。
For I know 'tis the end of all works to be drunken and go to the dogs.
因为我知道喝得烂醉而堕落灭亡,是一切工作的结局。
I swear to surrender this moment all claims to the ranks of the decent.
我此刻誓将一切的要求,让给正人君人。
I let go my pride of learning and judgment of right and of wrong.
我抛弃我学识的自豪和是非的判断。
I'll shatter memory's vessel, scattering the last the drop of tears.
我打碎记忆的瓶壶,挥洒最后的眼泪。
With the foam of the berry-red wine I will bathe and brighten my laughter.
以红果酒的泡沫来洗澡,使我欢笑发出光辉。
The badge of the civil and staid I'll tear into shreds for the nonce.
我暂且撕裂温恭和认真的标志。
I'll take the holy vow to be worthless, to be drunken and go to the dogs.
我将发誓作一个无用的人,喝得烂醉而堕落灭亡下去。