位置:主页 > 图书读物 > 世界名著英文版 > 海底两万里英文版 >

23 珊瑚王国(17)

发布时间:2021-06-30 07:30:44

【上一页】 【回目录】 【下一页】

At least, I asked, the fishermen are well paid, aren't they?

至少,我问,这些采珠人可以得到足够的工资吧?

Hardly, professor. In Panama they make just $1.00 per week.

哪能说足够呢,教授。在巴拿马,他们每星期得一元。

In most places they earn only a penny for each oyster that has a pearl, and they bring up so many that have none!

平常采到一个有珍珠的贝,他们才能得一分钱,何况他们采得的贝里面多数是没有珍珠的!

Only one penny to those poor people who make their employers rich! That's atrocious!

这些可怜人,使他们的东家发了财,自己只能在采封一颗有珠子的贝才得到一分钱!真可恨!

On that note, professor, Captain Nemo told me, you and your companions will visit the Mannar oysterbank, and if by chance some eager fisherman arrives early, well, we can watch him at work.

教授,就这样吧,尼摩船长对我说,您跟您的同伴们一同去参观马纳尔的礁石岩脉,如果有早来的采珠人已经在那里,那我们就看看他们采珍珠。

That suits me, captain.

船长,就这么办吧。

By the way, Professor Aronnax, you aren't afraid of sharks, are you?

请问一下,阿龙纳斯先生,您怕鲛鱼吗?

Sharks? I exclaimed.

鲛鱼吗?我喊。

This struck me as a pretty needless question, to say the least.

这个问题,至少对我来说,没有兴味。

Well? Captain Nemo went on.

怎样?尼摩船长立即又问。

I admit, captain, I'm not yet on very familiar terms with that genus of fish.

船长,我老实对您说,我没有惯跟这鱼打交道。

We're used to them, the rest of us, Captain Nemo answered. And in time you will be too.

我们已经很惯了,尼摩船长回答,过些时候,你们也会惯的。

Anyhow, we'll be armed, and on our way we might hunt a man-eater or two. It's a fascinating sport. So, professor, I'll see you tomorrow, bright and early.

此外,我们是带着武器的,这样,我们或者可以猎得一条鲛鱼。那是很有兴味的打猎。那么,教授,明天,明天一清早再会吧。

This said in a carefree tone, Captain Nemo left the lounge.

尼摩船长语气从容地说了这话,他就离开了客厅。

If you're invited to hunt bears in the Swiss mountains, you might say: Oh good, I get to go bear hunting tomorrow!

我们要考虑一下,我自言自语他说,我们不要忙,到海底森林中打水獭,像我们在克利斯波岛树林中做的那样。

If you're invited to hunt lions on the Atlas plains or tigers in the jungles of India, you might say:

可以去。但是,跑到海底下去,准知道会不会碰到鲛鱼,那就不一样了!

Ha! Now's my chance to hunt lions and tigers! But if you're invited to hunt sharks in their native element, you might want to think it over before accepting.

我于是幻想着鲛鱼了,想到它阔大的;有一排一排尖科牙齿的牙床,一下就可以把人咬为两段,我腰上已经感到有点痛了。 

【上一页】 【回目录】 【下一页】
分享到:

推荐阅读

·纯真年代·乡村三日·王尔德的诗英文版·格列佛游记英文版·小妇人英文版·少年派的奇幻漂流英文·365个英语小故事·谁动了我的奶酪英语原文·穷爸爸富爸爸·羊皮卷英文版