位置:主页 > 图书读物 > 世界名著英文版 > 吹小号的天鹅英文版 >

48:夏令营(2)

发布时间:2021-07-01 18:29:30

【上一页】 【回目录】 【下一页】

After a while, Mr. Brickle rose to his feet andaddressed the boys and the counselors. 

过了一会儿,布里克先生站起来对男孩和辅导员们发表演说了。

"I call your attention," he said, "to a new camper inour midst--Louis the Swan.

“我要提请大家注意,”他说,“我们中间有一个新营员--天鹅路易斯。

He is a Trumpeter Swan, a rare bird. We are lucky tohave him.

他是一只号手天鹅,一只珍禽。有他在此是我们的幸运。

I have employed him at the same salary I pay my junior counselors:

我给他的薪水和我给少年辅导员的一样多:

one hundred dollars for the season.

一夏天一百美元。

He is gentle and has a speech defect.

情温和,只是不能发声而已。

He came here from Montana with Sam Beaver.

他是从蒙大拿和萨姆比弗一起来的。

Louis is a musician.

路易斯是个音乐家。

Like most musicians, he is in need of money.

像多数音乐家一样,他也正急需用钱呢。

He will wake you at daybreak with his trumpet;

他将在黎明用他的小号叫醒你们;

he will call you to meals;

他将召唤你们吃饭;

and at night, when you are dropping off to sleep, he will play taps, and that will bring the dayto a close.

在夜里,当你们就要入睡时,他将给你们吹熄灯号,那就表示这一天结束了。

I caution you to treat him as an equal and to treat him with respect

告你们,一定要平等地待他,对他尊重些

he packs a terrific wallop with one of those wings.

他随便用哪只翅膀都能把你们猛揍一顿。

I now introduce, for your listening pleasure, Louis the Swan.

为了让你们大饱耳福,我现在就向你们介绍天鹅路易斯。

Take a bow, Louis!" Louis was embarrassed, but he came forward and bowed.

鞠个躬,路易斯!” 路易斯很不好意思,可他还是走上前鞠了个躬。

Then he raised his trumpet to his mouth and blew a long ko.

然后他把他的小号举到嘴边吹了长长的一声“吭”。

When he finished, from the opposite shore of the lake there came the echo: ko-oo.

他刚吹完,湖岸对面就传来了回声:“吭—吭”。

The boys clapped.

男孩子们鼓起掌来。

Louis bowed again.

路易斯又鞠了一躬。

Sam Beaver, sitting with the others, his mouth full of marshmallows, was delighted that hisplan had succeeded.

萨姆·比弗正和其他人坐在一起,嘴里满是果汁软糖,为他的计划能够实现而暗自开心。

At the end of the summer, Louis would have a hundred dollars.

等这个夏天结束,路易斯就能挣一百美元了。

A boy named Applegate Skinner stood up.

一个叫阿普尔盖特·斯金纳的男孩站了起来。

"Mr. Brickle," he said, "what about me? I don't care for birds. I've never liked birds."

“布里克先生,”他说,“我怎么办?我讨厌鸟类。我从来就不喜欢鸟儿。”

"Ok., Applegate," said Mr. Brickle.

“OK,阿普尔盖特,”布里克先生说。

"You don't have to like birds.

“你不必去喜欢鸟儿。

If that's the way you feel about it, just go ahead not-liking birds.

如果你这么觉得,就继续讨厌鸟类好了。

Everyone is entitled to his likes and dislikes and to his prejudices.

每个人都有权喜欢或不喜欢什么,都有权保留自己的成见。

Come to think of it, I don't care for pistachio ice cream.

让我们来想想,我不喜欢吃开心果冰淇淋。

I don't know why I don't like it, but I don't.

我不知道我为什么不喜欢它,可我就是不喜欢。

Do not forget, however, that Louis is one of your counselors.

不过可别忘了,不管怎么说,路易斯都是你的辅导员之一。

Whether you like him or not, he must be treated with respect."

不管你喜不喜欢他,他都必须得到尊重。”

【上一页】 【回目录】 【下一页】
分享到:

推荐阅读

·纯真年代·乡村三日·王尔德的诗英文版·格列佛游记英文版·小妇人英文版·少年派的奇幻漂流英文·365个英语小故事·谁动了我的奶酪英语原文·穷爸爸富爸爸·羊皮卷英文版